Many people enjoy running or jogging. It is the easiest and cheapest way to keep fit, which is why most people prefer it. If you are a runner, then you are bound to experience some running injuries at some point in your life, if that has not already happened. This is because running strains your body to some extent. The injuries can range from minor muscle pains and aches to fractures. According to statistics, roughly 60% of runners have experienced running injuries at least once in their life.
An LAX sports injury doctor has reported seeing runners put aside their running shoes for several weeks or even months due to running injuries, and if you’re a runner, you know that taking a break for this long makes it difficult to get back into it. Furthermore, a chiropractor near LAX admits to treating several runners with running injuries. This is why sports medicine near LAX is important.
A sports doctor near LAX is dedicated to maintaining the physical health of athletes. The treatment of running injuries should be prompt to prevent complications in healing. Prevention of running injuries is also essential. A sports doctor near LAX addresses any issues that athletes incur during running or playing any form of contact sport.
Common Running Injuries
Our chiropractor near LAX commonly sees several running injuries in the patients that walk into the clinic. They include:
- Runner’s Knee.
- Shin Splints.
- Achilles Tendinitis.
- It Band Syndrome.
- Plantar Fasciitis.
- Hamstring Injuries.
- Ankle Sprain.
Treatment and Prevention
Sports medicine for athletes near LAX values maintaining the physical health of athletes and exercising in the safest way with utmost importance. It achieves this by treating running injuries as soon as the injury occurs and a sports doctor near LAX advising the runners on ways to prevent future injuries from occurring.
Prevention is always better than cure. This is why all runners at sports medicine for athletes near LAX always have prevention measures for running injuries at the back of their minds. Some of these measures include:
- Always start with a warm-up to get your muscles loose and ready for your workout.
- Take some days off to rest your muscles, especially if you feel your most recent workout may have strained a muscle.
- Have comfortable running shoes. When you notice that your shoes have worn out, buy a new pair.
- In case of injury while running, applying a cold compress to the affected area will promote circulation and healing.
- Adopt the habit of hydrating adequately despite the environmental temperature.
- Build your running ability gradually in terms of the distance and how fast you can run. Do not strain your muscles by running too fast or running a long distance when you are just a beginner.
The most common type of treatment that athletes receive for running injuries in sports medicine for athletes near LAX is physiotherapy. Physiotherapy aims at relieving pain and any restriction in movement of the legs caused by inflammation due to injury. It also alleviates stress in the affected leg or legs. According to Healthline, repetitive stress causes roughly 80% of the injuries incurred by runners.
Other at-home treatment options suggested by our LAX sports injury doctor include:
- Pain medications and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Cold therapy using a frozen bag of peas to reduce inflammation.
- Adequate rest with some stretching now and then.
- Elevating the affected leg to prevent further swelling.